At Home Thursday: The Chair, Part 1

I would like to introduce you to my next really scary project. The occasional chair. This is a chair that I bought second hand in a thrift store in Carthage MO for less than 40 dollars and let me tell you, it looked better then than it does now after 5 years in this house.

I originally bought the chair for the master bedroom, but because we needed more seating in the living room, out it came...soon after the discovery of it's comfort, Keegan took it over and it became "his chair" Now, between food stains, candy wrappers, drink spills, dog hair, just plain and disgusting boy things, I am going to have to step in and try to reupholster this poor thing.


The fabric on the arms are thread bare and stained, I just have to try, it 's my duty!

Does this look scary challenging or what! Tufting? Really? I have been watching DIY vids on you tube, I am definitely going to have to get some supplies.


What I know so far is that I want to paint the wood white and then there is the question of fabric choices. I haven't found the perfect candidate yet, but I've been ordering fabric swatches online, I'm waiting for a few more, but these are the choices so far...just remember that the wood is going white.
So far, I've only chosen solids, I'm not sure why, I guess in keeping with the style of the chair. After all you can't really tuft just any fabric. I thought that the chocolate chenille (top right) was going to be the winner, but then I thought of green...as you can see, it's going to be a bit of a process selecting fabric, but it's a fun process! I am waiting on a couple more fabrics and doing some shopping, so here's hoping to a timely decision!
Close ups of the contenders:
Chocolate, Avocado
Both have beautiful texture and the chenille is so soft



Estrella Basil and Portsmouth Basil
I love the woven texture, but look at that velvety softness.....


...decisions, decisions.






0 comments:

Post a Comment