DIY Printer's Block Art

(Have you met my favorite vintage owl plate? :)



While this concept is nothing new, I love the idea of creating printer block art for yourself using the letters that you've collected over time, it has so much more meaning I think. I finally got enough letters in my collection to create my own piece of art. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

What you'll need for this project:


Deep frame or shadow box frame


Matting without any openings


Vintage printer block letters


Glue gun


Depending on how large your block letter collection is will determine what size frame you'll need. I used 19 letters and my frame is 20 inches square. I would like to do some smaller ones too, after I do some more collecting.
I went to Hobby Lobby's framing department and had them cut some matting for me without any openings. They do charge for the cuts but luckily the matting itself was on sale, so it wasn't too bad. I used matting because it's nice and firm, anything else would be too flimsy. I think another neat idea would be to use fabric or burlap on the matting if you are not into the modern look. Next, begin working on the composition of the letters, this is not an exact science, just use your eye to get the composition right. I have a combination of big and small wooden blocks and a couple of metal ones, so yours will depend on what you've got. I did some upside down and sideways to keep it interesting. I recommend occasionally laying the frame down on what you've done to make sure it's looking right within the frame. I have had this frame for years and it just so happened to be deep enough to accommodate the letters, but shadow box frames will work too. Once the composition is perfect, begin to glue each letter down on the matting, carefully picking them up and quickly laying them back down making sure nothing shifts. Carefully put the frame back together and it is ready to hang! It ended up being kinda heavy! I hung my new/old piece of art among thrifted plates and photographs....using the vintage letters and the modern frame is like music to me! Here's a bonus project; I found a scalloped plate while thrifting, sprayed it flat black and glued a craft mirror in the center, I love it and super simple! I love how it turned out and is quite the focal point. I am still working on a post specifically focused on creating a gallery wall, so be sure to look for that soon. Thank you for stopping by, I hope you're inspired to create some art!








Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



0 comments:

Post a Comment