Sprucing up the Kitchen

Sprucing up the kitchen and Helpful hints for displaying dishes.

I am a collector and creatively displaying dishes can sometimes be daunting.


I have a china hutch (with closed storage) and an open storage piece that I use. Of course I use the kitchen storage as well.


Now in my dream kitchen, I would have a combination of open and closed built In's...not to mention more square footage...but in reality, I'm gonna use what I've got.


Tip #1: Baskets for storage.


I found these square lidded baskets, approx. 12X12 that I store napkins in. I bought this particular style to fit on my shelving, but they are making baskets in all shapes and sizes to meet your needs. Baskets add great texture and color as well as function.









Tip #2 Limiting color pallet.

I have found what works for me is keeping a simple color pallet. I usually use white and one other color. For me, that's green. Of course the baskets provide a color of their own. All of my specialty plates that do not fit within the color pallet stay behind closed doors until the next Tablescape Thursday (wink;)!






Tip # 3 Visual Balance and repetition



Not everyone will have shelving like this, but I think you can take away some idea of what I mean by visual balance and repetition. since I am displaying dishes, stacking is almost a given. I actually really like seeing stacks of dishes. I think it looks really pretty.

Distributing color will also help with balance...I don't have all green and then all white...I broke it up from shelf to shelf. Notice also the texture (baskets) is distributed from shelf to shelf too.
On such a square unit, I used a lot of circles to break up all the lines...this shelf is perfect for dishes!







While still on the sprucing up mode I decided to do a different quick and simple centerpiece. I had an oval silver platter (thrifty love) that I combined candles, leaves & berries, and fruit, to make a colorful seasonal centerpiece



I used a tablecloth folded in half across the table for some additional seasonal flair.




I also did a couple of projects that I've been wanting to do and today was the day...



Remember this picture I took at Circle R Ranch? If you don't, you can read about it here. I decided that I wanted to frame it up and use it in the kitchen. It's just graphic enough that it's not too country for me....



I printed it out here at home, on good photo paper




Using some matting and a frame that I had around the house, I think it turned out beautifully and I displayed it on top of my dish display shelf.




I was thinking that later (when I get some extra coin) I could order a print of it even larger and and do the canvas look...that would be really great!


But for the now...I'm happy with the at home version! It's right at home amongst the milk glass and wicker...



I finally got around to hanging the chalkboard tray I did weeks ago. I have a small wall in between the back door and window perfect for hanging four trays, all thrifty love, and spelled out

H-O-M-E. Love it!





Blogged for Kimba's DIY Day.
Thank you for stopping by today!
I hope this has helped you and inspired you!
DIY Day @ ASPTL





0 comments:

Post a Comment